Monday, January 12, 2015

Faith? Bad timing.

How often do you have faith? 
How big is your faith? 
Maybe the better question is this: Who is your faith in? 

As I began a new Bible study I recieved as a Christmas gift, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa Turkerst, (thanks Mrs. Debbie), I am blown away at the immediate reaction this one verse in particular gets out of me. 
        I will bless The Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs      me. I know The Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right    beside me. No wonder my heart is     glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in    safety. 
              Psalm 16:7-9 (NLT)
Wow. If that hits you like it hits me there's no need to go on. But, being the over-sharer that I sometimes am, I'll go on. 
I'd like to break the verses down. 

     The first line: "I will bless The Lord who guides me,". 
Am I blessing Him? His name? 
What could I do to bless Him? 
I'd like to say yes to the first two, and give you a perfect answer for the latter. But if I'm being honest, no, I can't do that. And that's heartbreaking to me. 

     The next line: "Even at night my heart instructs me."  
It's 11 o'clock at night, I'm lying in my bed, writing this. Night, for me, is the best time to think about my day, lessons I've learned, chances I've had to be a disciple, but mostly, my thoughts go to where I went wrong. But here's the thing I often forget, in pondering my day, the moments I wish I could do over and the what-if it had gone another way, there's the lesson in itself. I've learned how I could face those challenges, the what-ifs.
I've grown from my failures. Isn't that reason enough to praise? 

     Next: "I know The Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me."  
GOD'S GOT THIS
Don't believe me? 
Those moments where you feel like nothing is going right and you have nowhere to go, who do you call on? 
See, there's a little bit of faith there. And I bet he's always come through. 

     Lastly: "No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety."  
If you believe the previous line, really believe it, then you don't have a problem accepting this one. God has this under control. He knew about it long before you did and he knows how it's going to end long before you will. No wonder we can praise Him, He's got this! 

One of my biggest struggles in my relationship with God is who I put my faith into. Some days it's in Him, often days, it's in myself. I try to justify it and say, "Oh, I can handle that!", or "God's got enough to worry about."  
Then I find myself stressed out about it and complaining to someone who can't help me and could probably care less anyways. So why couldn't I just take it to God? Not only can He help me, He will. And He cares about me more than anyone I know. 
The same goes for you. He loves you more than anyone and only wants the best for you and from you. Let's put out faith back in Him, because none of us can do it alone. 






1 comment: